Wednesday 11 April 2007

It's time for a change!

We have now had 12 years of incompetent government by the Liberal Democrats in Eastleigh.


They are building everywhere they can. This raises income from developers contributions to the council (e.g. £250.000 for the Pirelli’s site) and by bigger receipts in Council tax.

But little has been done to improve the state of the roads, to provide more parking and to improve the sewers. Look at the current plans for South Eastleigh!

What will be the consequences of all this development for the people of Eastleigh?


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As some one trying to be a first time buyer I'm pleased the Council is taking action to increase the availability of housing in Eastleigh. I work in Eastleigh and I want to live here but the lack of houses for sale is forcing up prices.

I thought the Tories were supposed to be the party of the homeowner.

Andrew C Ross said...

You make a good point here. We do need a massive housing building programme in the South East if we are going to stop house prices soaring. I have three sons all coming up to the age where they are looking at property prices and wondering what to do, so I appreciate your point. I am not a NIMBY (not in my back yard). As you will see from my next article on Velmore bungalows I am actually prepared to accept a new build of bungalows on Velmore at a greater density if the sewage, parking and transport infrastructure is first improved. But as todays Motorway accident and gridlock in Eastleigh showed, our road systems cannot cope with a major incident. Nor can our sewers. We have to tackle these issues and need to get on with putting in sewers, roads etc for example in Hedge end, where several thousand houses will have to be built some day. We also need better access to places like Hamble where there is land on Hamble airport which could be developed. Sadly our council leaders don't seem to be able to think strategically.